Five things we’re looking forward to at SIRF 15
Stockton International Riverside Festival is here! If you have never been before it is four days packed with street theatre, circus, dance and music. With the added benefit of providing the audiences of thousands a glimpse of the redevelopment work done in Stockton town centre, it is sure to be a great success.
As there is so much to do, we’ve listed the five things we’re most looking forward to at this year’s SIRF Festival:
1. Orkestra del Sol – They describe themselves as ‘the swagger of a Balkan wedding band – the riotous energy of Latin carnival.’ need we say more? ‘This is Honkstep’ guarantees to get anyone in the carnival mood! Showing in the afternoon on Friday or later in the evening, should be good high energy fun.
2. Carousel – We’re totally intrigued by the synopsis provided by Southpaw Dance Company, so we can’t wait to see for ourselves. The company states that ‘ Music, dance and drama combine for a stunning piece of dance theatre, in which the performers use the carousel’s revolving platform to flip, roll, dive, and spin to an eclectic Balkan and Gypsy-influenced score.’ We’re sold!
3. SIRF Community Carnival – We’ve had a personal preview of what to expect from this carnival and can promise SIRF have gone all out on providing the community with a top-notch, bespoke carnival which tells the story of John Walker, the Stockton Chemist who invited the match! The programme offers three and a half hours of varied free fun on a Saturday afternoon! Sounds great! Here is a preview of what to expect from the puppets!
4. Trinity Fire Garden – The company Cie Carabosse are internationally renowned for their amazing and beautiful fire gardens and installations. They have created a masterpiece for SIRF which will transform Trinity Church and Trinity Green into an immersive garden of fire, light and music on a grand scale. What a marvellous way to celebrate the creation of the friction match in a family friendly, beautiful way! Here is a preview of one of Cie Carabosse’s past shows so that you know what to expect!
5. The Food! – Food vendors which aren’t usually in the town centre will be on hand to support the hungry festival go-ers!
This is a sample of what is on offer Thursday-Sunday at SIRF. For the comprehensive programme they have an excellent website which is available at www.sirf.co.uk